Sunflower Bridge Child Exchange & Visitation Center



What is the Child Exchange and Visitation Center (CEVC) and why do we have it?

In 2000, Sunflower CASA Project opened Sunflower Bridge — the Riley County Child Exchange and Visitation Center. This project was a collaboration between CASA and the Domestic Violence Task Force and was funded by the Office of the Kansas Attorney General. Sunflower Bridge exists to ensure the safety of children during supervised visits with their parents or during exchanges for unsupervised visitation.

What is a supervised visit?

A supervised visit allows children to have contact with a non-residential parent within a safe, neutral environment. Trained supervisors observe visits between the parent and child. Security is on-site. The Center provides games, books, and toys for use during the visit.

What is a monitored exchange?

A monitored exchange at the Center involves the transfer of children from one parent to another without conflict between the parents. It takes place in a neutral and child-friendly atmosphere and focuses on the safety and well-being of the child.

What are the benefits to using the CEVC?

  • Assures safe contact between a child & non-custodial parent.
  • The child will not be put in the middle of the parents’ conflicts or other problems.
  • Parents do not have to communicate or have contact with each other as Sunflower Bridge staff will arrange the services.
  • Allows the custodial parent to have valuable time to themselves.
  • Non-custodial parents do not have to worry about interrupted visitation due to interpersonal problems.

Why use the CEVC for visitations or exchanges?

  • History of parental conflict
  • Reintegration
  • Establishing a new parent-child relationship
  • Safety of the children

Is there documentation of what happens during my visit?

Yes. Written documentation is provided detailing the relevant activities observed before, during, and following a service.

Will reports be submitted to the court regarding my visitation?

  • Reports will be submitted to the courts upon attorney request. Reports will consist of a summary of the observations made by the Center staff.
  • The Center does not conduct parental assessments or make recommendations.
  • The Center must be informed by attorneys as to when court reports are due.

Program Staff:

CEVC provides trained staff members and security personnel.

Supervised visitation services are not:

  • Legal Advice
  • Counseling Sessions
  • Venting Sessions
  • Mediation
  • Remedial Parent Education
  • Custodial Evaluation

Who can participate in services?

Services are available to any residents of Kansas, but preference is given to residents of Riley, Clay, and Pottawatomie Counties. Individual and in-person intakes with both parents must occur before services will be provided.

How are families referred for services?

Some families are self-referred and voluntarily choose to use the CEVC to help them feel safe and comfortable during exchanges and visits.

Other families may be referred by:

  • Attorneys
  • Community agencies
  • Court
  • Previous CEVC client

What does it cost?

Each parent must complete separate intakes with Sunflower Bridge staff before services will be provided.  There is a $40.00 intake fee per party and no services will be provided before fees are paid in full.

Clients are assessed service fees on a sliding fee scale according to their income. Service fees are assessed to the visiting party unless stipulated in court order or by agreement between the parties. Income documentation is required to apply for fee reduction.

What are your service hours?

All services (Intake Appointments, Supervised Visits and Monitored Exchanges) are provided BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  No walk-ins will be allowed for any reason.

How do you schedule a visit or exchange?

Each client must schedule an intake appointment. Once both parties have completed the intake, visitations or exchanges will be scheduled.

To schedule an intake appointment or to obtain more information, please email Katie Seel at or call 785-537-6877.

Funding in part provided by the United Way of Junction City